Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Temporal Paradox - Guest Post by Sofia Grey #timetravel #romance

Temporal Paradox (definition): events arising from means other than the normal flow of cause and effect

Image courtesy of 123rf.com

One of my favourite storylines in Doctor Who was at the end of Season 3, when they introduced The Paradox Machine. What a brilliant concept! To say nothing of three of my favourite actors – John Simm as The Master, David Tennant as The Doctor, and John Barrowman as Captain Jack – all on screen at once * happy sigh *

It was probably Doctor Who that hooked me on the concept of time travel, and now, I write my own vision of it.

Writing time travel stories means I get to play with paradoxes. And since time travel isn’t actually achievable yet, I can make up the rules as I go along. That’s pretty liberating to a writer. It’s also mind-bending sometimes.

In my newest release (Isabella’s Airman), I had a key artifact that needed to be moved from one place to another – at some point in the future. This meant when my hero came across it, with no memory of having made the shift, it signalled to him that it hadn’t happened yet.

The idea came from an old, sepia-tinted picture I’d seen hanging on an office wall. It depicted a number of men leaning on shovels, during the construction of a railway line a hundred years ago. They smiled for the camera, but one of the men appeared uncomfortable with having his picture taken. When I saw it, I immediately wondered… what if that young man lived today, and saw himself in the picture – and knew that part of his future, included going back to the past?

So tell me. Which book, movie or TV show included your favourite temporal paradox? I’ll give away an e-copy of the first book in my Out of Time series (Lila’s Wolf) to one lucky commenter.


PS – this is how I handled the paradox in Isabella’s Airman

Excerpt:

When had I removed these from the archive? Not only that, but laid a false trail to another collection, and then removed them and hidden them in my own book. What the fuck was going on? I hadn’t done any of this.

I lifted my glass, only to find it was already empty. Think logically, Marc.

There were a limited number of options to explain this disturbing sequence of events. Either I had some serious issue with my memory and I’d forgotten these actions, or someone else had forged my authentication and then broken into my apartment and hidden the artifact. Both were extremely unlikely.

The final option was the most unpalatable. It was me, but I hadn’t done it yet.

~


Blurb:

Time travel student Isabella Gillman is about to embark on her most challenging assignment--leaping back to 1941 to observe World War II. The rules are simple: don’t get emotionally involved, and don’t interfere.

She breaks the first rule when she falls in love with rear-gunner Davy Porteous. The second is on its way out as well, when she realizes history says he won’t survive the war. Torn between the fundamental laws of her society, and the man she loves, Isabella faces a harsh reality: does she risk both their lives for a future that may not happen?

She can’t predict the results if she corrupts the timelines, but without her actions, Davy is out of time.


Buy Isabella’s Airman (Out of Time #2) at Amazon:

Watch the trailer on YouTube: https://youtu.be/81eQC1WmBks

Author bio: 

Romance author Sofia Grey spends her days managing projects in the corporate world and her nights hanging out with wolf shifters and alpha males. She devours pretty much anything in fiction, but she prefers her romances hot and her heroes to have hidden depths. When writing, she enjoys peeling back the layers to expose her characters’ flaws and always makes them work hard for their happy endings.

Author links:




2 comments:

  1. Thank you for hosting me today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Sofia! I think I'll have to give the obvious answer to your question--Back to the Future. The ongoing series of movies made the temporal paradoxes increasingly complex, with Marty McFly crisscrossing his own paths through time multiple times.

    I think there was also a scene in one of Anne McCaffrey's Dragonrider books where F'lar's brother was shocked to encountered himself--all made possible by dragons that could traverse not only "between" to reach other places, but also other times.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for chiming in! We love to see your comments. (All comments are moderated so spam can be terminated!)